My message here is simple, as Lauryn Evarts of @theskinnyconfidential puts it: “Get The Fu*k Out of the Sun”. Well, she actually titled her newest book exactly that. Her book is all about skin and is filled with dermatologists, beauty gurus, and skin care experts all stressing the importance of SPF and sun protection.
Sun Protection 101
- Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the world
- 90% of skin damage or “photoaging” -wrinkles, fine lines and pigmentation, is caused by sun and UV exposure
- Apply sunscreen daily, let it sink in and reapply a second time. Reapply every 2 hours.
- Choose a Broad Spectrum -this protects you from UVA rays (prematurely age skin) and UVB rays (burn skin)
- Look for a SPF 30 or higher and SPF 50 or higher if exercising
- Water-Resistant sunscreens are great in and out of the water -especially on those hot, sweaty days
- No sunscreen is waterproof, so reapply according to label
- Lotions tend to be easier to apply and last longer. Sticks need several swipes. Sprays should be rubbed in after applied.
- Eyes – look for glasses that filter out 100% of UVA and UVB rays. Look for UV 400-protected sunglasses. The bigger the better! Wrap around glasses offer the best coverage. “Polarized” glasses protect you from sun glare.
We know sun protection is important and we also know it’s an expensive and tiring trial and error process finding a sunscreen that looks and feels good on your skin. Below is an outline to my favourite sunscreens.
La Roche-Psay Toleriane Double Repair Moistuizer UV SPF 50
Anthelios 50 Mineral Ulra Light Face SPF 50
ElatMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
Paula’s Choice Resist SPF 50
Drunk Elephant – Umbra Tinted Physical Daily Defense Sunscreen SPF
Ilia Super Serum Skint Tint SPF 40 (30 shades!)
Supergoop! CC Screen 100% Mineral SF 30 (15 shades!)
- Setting Sprays + Sunscreen
Supergoop! Defense Refresh (Re) Setting Mist SPF 40
Coola Makeup Setting Spray SPF 30
Kate Sommerville UncompliKated SPF 50 Soft Focus Makeup Setting Spray
lumasol SPF 50 Face Sunscreen Mist (I’m excited to try this!!)
Vanicream Lip Protectant/Sunscreen SPF 30
Sun Bum Mineral Sunscreen Lip Balm SPF 30
EltaMD UV Lip Balm SPF 36
Kiehl’s Butterstick Lip Treatment SPF 30